Accessing the Astra Embedded S streams from a python script: no device found: SOLVED

Hello,

I recently purchased an Astra Embedded S and looking at the OBNiViewer, it looks like it works fine (if the depth resolution is changed as already mentioned in a few posts, my problem is not about that).

In fact, my problem is way more basic than that. The furnished .exe work fine, meaning that the camera feed can be accessed. However, when trying to access the camera from a local python script, I keep getting the ‘no devices found’ error from OpenNI.

I am currently using a Windows 10 Pro OS. I successfully installed the provided driver which appears in my programs, and I also already copied the two files being Orbbec.dll and Orbbec.ini within my used OpenNI driver folder as suggested in this post : visual c++ - Orbbec and OpenNi2: DeviceOpen using default: no devices found - Stack Overflow
However, I cannot find the mentioned .lib file, which could be the reason.

Would it be possible to have more insight on how to get started with this camera and how to solve this specific problem ?
Thanks

Hello,

I actually found where the error came from.
I was using an OpenNI folder from another camera installation, hence some packages were broken.

How to fix : Download OpenNI from the official website : OpenNI 2 Downloads and Documentation | The Structure Sensor
Install it, then go to the installed folder (which should be in Program Files). Then in OpenNI2\Redist\OpenNI2\Drivers, copy paste the two driver files that you will find in the SDK folder that you can download from the orbbec website. In this specific location : \Windows\Astra OpenNI2 Development Instruction(x86)_V1.3\OpenNI2\OpenNI-Windows-x86-2.3.0.55\Redist\OpenNI2\Drivers copy the two Orbbec and orbbec.dll to the previous mentioned path.

From this point your application should find the camera.

Where is this path? I don’t find this path on my PC after I install OpenNI ? And what two drivers are you talking about. One is Orbbec.dll and other one is?

The path should be within the downloaded folder of the orbbec SDK.

About the two drivers, there will be no more confusion once you get to the right directory.

Cheers