Astra Pro Plus USB & power problem @ boot

I’m working with an Astra Pro Plus and an SBC (Orange Pi 3B) and that combination gives a strange issue:

• When booting without the camera, it pulls around 0.3-0.5A, perfectly normal. When I plug in the camera, it pulls max 0.5A more, nothing strange and it works (shows up in /dev/… and works with ROS)
  • When booting the SBC with the camera connected, it pulls ~1A more. The camera gets quite hot at the top and the depth camera does not show up in /dev/… and the ROS node will not work.
    • disconnecting and reconnecting fixes this issue, lower power usage and it works like normal.

I’ve tested it with a good bench top power supply outputting 5V.

How can this be fixed?
We want to build >50 robots with a camera each and we don’t want to unplug and plug back the USB cable at every boot.

What I’ve tried:

• Different kernel and images
  • Different USB ports
  • Different camera and SBC

Thank you, Arend-Jan

“When booting without the camera, it pulls around 0.3-0.5A, perfectly normal. When I plug in the camera, it pulls max 0.5A more” Do you mean plug in the camera with the Orange Pi 3B?
“When booting the SBC with the camera connected, it pulls ~1A more.” Does it mean plug in the camera with the Orange Pi 3B fisrt, then boot the SBC?

“When booting without the camera, it pulls around 0.3-0.5A, perfectly normal. When I plug in the camera, it pulls max 0.5A more” Do you mean plug in the camera with the Orange Pi 3B?

Boot Orange Pi 3B first, then plug in the camera.

“When booting the SBC with the camera connected, it pulls ~1A more.” Does it mean plug in the camera with the Orange Pi 3B fisrt, then boot the SBC?

Indeed, plug in the camera, then boot Orange Pi 3B

I’m using Armbian

I’ve tried it with the official images as well and I just get this in dmesg:
device not accepting address 11, error -71 and device descriptor read/64, error -71

Log: https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.php/s/cvVk60FIgAzh7Vj