Astra S on OSX Mac Pro 2013

Hello,

I am having some trouble with the Astra S on my Mac Pro 2013.
I am using OSX El Capitan 10.11.6.

If I try the samples I just see a black window.

If I use ofxOrbbecAstra from @mattfelsen I have the message
[orbbec.ni.device_streamset– failed to open device: COuld not open "2bc5/0402@0/5": Failed to open the USB device!

I installed libusb using brew (don’t know if it’s steel needed).

No problem on my Macbook Pro with the same OSX, same apps/samples.

In the device manager I can see the Astra S but it’s different from my Macbook Pro.
On Mac Pro:

ASTRA S :

Identifiant du produit :	0x0402
  Identifiant du fournisseur :	0x2bc5
  Version :	0.01
  Fabricant :	ORBBEC
  Identifiant de l’emplacement :	0x00400000

On Macbook Pro:

ASTRA S :

Identifiant du produit :	0x0402
  Identifiant du fournisseur :	0x2bc5
  Version :	0.01
  Vitesse :	Jusqu’à 480 Mb/s
  Fabricant :	ORBBEC
  Identifiant de l’emplacement :	0x14100000 / 6
  Courant disponible (mA) :	1000
  Courant requis (mA) :	500
  Exploitation supplémentaire actuelle (mA) :	0

Does anyone tested the Astra on a Mac Pro yet? I plan to have to of them working on it.

Thanks a lot,

Benjamin

Hello all,

Just wanted to bring this issue back to the front with my information. Having the same exact problem over here.

Mac Pro 6,1 (late 2013)
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 also

Here’s the info shown from the device manager (but in English, haha).

Mac Book Pro (working):

Product ID:	0x0401
  Vendor ID:	0x2bc5
  Version:	0.01
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	ORBBEC
  Location ID:	0x14200000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):	1000
  Current Required (mA):	500
  Extra Operating Current (mA):	0

Mac Pro (not working):

Product ID:	0x0401
  Vendor ID:	0x2bc5
  Version:	0.01
  Manufacturer:	ORBBEC
  Location ID:	0x00300000

Been searching high and low, still looking for leads.

Are there any Orbbec Devs around to help with this issue or a phone/email line to speak with any one knowledgeable? @josh perhaps?

My 3 Orbbecs are integrated into my installation and this is a pretty serious issue I need to solve before delivery next month. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

I have been investigating for a while, testing with powered USB hubs 2.0, 3.0, thunderbolt dock… bu without any luck!
Hope someone at Orbbec see this and can gives us some clues.

Ben

Hi I33N,

Thanks for your information. We just finished the testing on Macbook Air and Macbook Pro with our Astra SDK. None of them apear to have any issue related to your post. We currently do not have Mac Pro in hand for testing, but our development engineers already been contacted about this issue. They will try to reproduce the issue and see if we can provide a solution for that.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Jackson

Hello Jackson,

Thank you very much for passing our message along to the developers!

Is there any chance you are located in New York City? I have a Mac Pro that you might be able to use for testing for a day or so if that would help.

Let me know!

Hello again!

Is there any word on this or any way I can help by supplying the Mac Pro (if you guys are located in NYC)?

The Astra is a great camera and I have no doubt people will start implementing them more and more in larger installations where more processing power is needed. It would seem figuring out how to connect them to a Mac Pro is a key next step in facilitating this for your users.

I know of one person (outside this thread) that is already second guessing Orbbec cameras because of this issue! Please help!

Kindly,
Adiel

Still nothing on this from the Orbbec dev team? This is disappointing.

I just encountered similar issues on my 2017 mbpro, going though a Belkin TB3 dock; but then i tried a USBC->USB3 dongle, and was able to get it to work after that.

What doc/hub are you using?