Can you use V4L or Gstreamer with the Astra (Not using OpenCV)

I was wondering if it’s possible to access at least the color stream from the Astra using strictly V4L or Gstreamer without OpenCV or OpenNI?

This thread (AStra Pro Color image - #3 by JuanDavid25) says it’s possible, however, I don’t see the Astra listed as a device that I can open e.g. /dev/video0. NiViewer works fine so I don’t think there are any connection/hardware issues. Is it listed under a different naming scheme?

Thanks!

The Astra cameras have some differences between models. I think only the Astra Pro delivers the color stream over UVC while all the others do it through OpenNI.

The Astra and Astra S (And their respective mini models) only get their color stream from OpenNI or AstraSDK. The Astra Pro model, includinc Persee on the other hand, cannot get their color stream from OpenNI or AstraSDK, since the color stream is an standard UVC stream, and as such you can use any library or software compatible with UVC web cameras.

If NiViewer shows the color stream, it means that you are using a non Pro version of the Astra cameras, and as such you are unable to use it as an strandard UVC stream.

Hi,
Have you tried the openni2 plugin of gstreamer ?
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/openni2/index.html?gi-language=c

Orbbec Astra Stereo S has UVC device for color (RGB) stream. I’m using OpenNi2 (downloaded from orbbec site) to get depth and ir frames while OpenCV to get RGB frames.

I noticed that depth and rgb frames are not synchronized. At the moment, I struggle to synchronize the depth and rgb frames. I would appreciate if someone can help.

I have an astra pro and this is how I am using with gstreamer (under jetson, but should work on other devices):

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'image/jpeg,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1' ! jpegdec ! nvoverlaysink

What is important is to set the appropriate resolution and codec. Check v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --list-formats-ext for supported formats.