Coordinate mapper vs PointStream?

I was taking a look at the SimpleStream example to see how coordinate mapping from depth to world space worked, and see there’s a nice PointStream that delivers already mapped coordinates to you in a PointFrame. What if you have a depth map (that you’ve previously recorded to disk) and you want to create a point cloud without having a live stream coming in…does the API allow for this? Thanks!

We plan to have this scenario covered in a future release. (It’s in progress now, but not ready for use yet.) The short version is that there will be a plugin to enable recording and playback of streams, and you could load and playback the file by connecting to a specific named (non-default) StreamSet, published by the recording plugin. In this way, the recorded streams would be automatically augmented by the other plugins, such as orbbec_xs which provides a PointStream for any DepthStream.

1 Like

Ah, that’s a cool idea! That’s something I’ve been missing when recording frames from KinectV2 data and not being able to play back & get skeletons from their SDK. I guess for now I’ll just store the conversationCache factors and re-implement astra_convert_depth_to_world() – cool thing that SDK’s open source eh?

1 Like