Linux SDK & Hardware Support

Hi Gordon,
I noticed the related post about the v0.4 SDK release, which also supports Linux Ubuntu (https://3dclub.orbbec3d.com/t/full-openni-2-environment-download/34).
I’m trying to get one of the samples working, but all my attempts failed so far.

Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to get the Astra running on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit?

What I did so far:

1. Download OpenNI2 from here: Dropbox - Error
  2. Extract “OpenNI-2 -Linux-x64-Orbbec3D.tgz”
  3. Executed the install script with: sudo ./install.sh
  4. Run the samples SimpleRead and SimpleViewer from OpenNI-2 -Linux-x64-Orbbec3D/Samples/Bin/.

Both samples fail with the following error:

:~/Downloads/orbbec_sdk/OpenNI-Linux-x64-2.2/Samples/Bin$ ./SimpleRead 
Couldn't open device
        DeviceOpen using default: no devices found

I went further and created a rules file for the Astra similar to the provided rules for the Primesense (primesense-usb.rules). I just adjusted the idProduct (0401) and idVendor (2bc5) according to the Alpha. The whole file looks like this:

/etc/udev/rules.d$ more 56-orbbec.rules 
# Make Orbbec device mount with writing permissions (default is read only for unknown devices)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idProduct}=="0401", ATTR{idVendor}=="2bc5", MODE:="0666", OWNER:="root", GROUP:="video"

But this didn’t help either. Next I tried my USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. This also didn’t help. Last I fired up my existing installation of OpenNI (version 2.2), but it didn’t recognise the Astra either.

What am I missing or doing wrong here?

1 Like