Persee: Taking USB extenders out of the equation?

I’m curious if the network port on the Persee is intended to transmit/stream data over a network. For those applications that require a number of cameras spread out over a larger area, this would be an attractive feature and take a number of moving parts out of the equation (usb extenders, custom hardware which supports multiple dedicated USB hubs, etc)

Is the SD card reader intended to host local programs or configuration settings? could it be used to customize how data is:

• filtered?
  • calibrated?
  • (getting ahead of myself here, but) packaged for network transmission?

Good questions! Before I answer them I do want to say although we at Orbbec want to provide you with everything you need to do cool stuff, we also don’t want you to be limited by our resources and imaginations. We won’t be crippling the OS in any way, and you’ll be able to configure it to suit your needs.

• The ethernet/wifi networking is most certainly intended to enable the transmission of the developer-designated stream data. Our SDK tries to remain agnostic towards both conveyance method (shared memory, network socket, pipes, etc) and stream payload data (depth, color, textual, skeletal, etc). This allows the Persee itself to act as a data source provider to which local and network-accessible applications can subscribe. To answer your question more directly: Yes, Persee will support streaming of data over a network out-of-the-box and was a primary consideration when assembling its feature set.
  • The SD card reader is an additional source of storage and is not required for general operation. It was included to support scenarios where hot swapping or storage of large quantities data was required.
  • Regarding configuration of the Persee and Astra: Our SDK has a user specifiable location for its configuration, and I see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to store that configuration on an SD card.