How should i start

Hello,
I have a newbie question, because i could not find clear documentation about where should i start. I get my Persee and plug it to power. There is no light blinking on device. I suppose that there is no default firmware on it. So i installed the driver and restart my computer. Then i plug the microusb to device and usb to my computer while i was pressing the button inside the hole. So device started in loader device. But i could not download the .img file from anywhere (http://pan.baidu.com/s/1mhcDXqw is no available).
On the other hand, i am not familiar with android (java) programming. I am close to python and C so should i install Ubuntu on device? and how?

Thank you.

Mine arrived with android preinstalled. Just connect the HDMI cable and you should be able to navigate and use test apps.

I wasn’t able to connect my google account or even register a new one, so the market is off-limits. You can however activate APK from other sources and then upload apps to the device using the usb storage option.

I also installed android studio and was able to build a sample application, upload it to the device and seeing it running (a standard android studio example, NOT and example from orbbec).

I also would feel much more “at home” with an ubuntu installation instead (java^H^H^H^H dalvik sucks in my opinion too), but I don’t know either where to download the image from and/or how to flash the firmware.

Andrea

Mine came with Android to. I have no experience with linux however I use a mac. I could turn my Persee on plugging the ac adapter and an Hdmi cable to a monitor. Than I plugged a mouse to the device to check some apps. But I have no clues on how to connect it to a computer. Manual is just for experienced users, it seems.

Hi Andrea,

Please please check David’s post from the link above for detailed information of the Ubuntu image and other contents for Persee.

Thanks,
Jackson

Hi Jackson,

I also tested, yes my Persee has android and it is working. But i want to ask questions. I downloaded the file which you share above, it includes bin files but there is no clear documentation about what will i get after install Ubuntu.
When i install ubuntu to the device then can i reach the camera and other sensors directly on that device. It means that i will create and run programmes directly in device, right? Can i also use my personal computer to reach the camera and sensor values after i install Ubuntu?

Thank you.

Hello engin,

After downloading the ubuntu image I had to find a windows machine (windows 7 in my case) because the flash update tool runs under windows and requires even installation of drivers. The documents are terse but the information is there. 1) install the drivers, 2) run the android tool, 3) act on the reprogram switch near the power supply of the Persee (the little hole) until the android tool sees a “Loader” device 4) flash the image.

After flashing ubuntu the system will boot in an ubuntu 14.04 desktop instead of android and you can use that environment to experiment with the persee.

Currently I’m fighting with cross compilation from my linux arch for the Persee (I get ARM executables, but they are just immediately “Killed” when run on the Persee).

I succeeded however in installing ssh and compilers on the persee itself (apt-get update and apt-get install) to be able to compile code for it working from my machine over ssh. Not optimal because compilation on Persee is much slower, but still reasonable.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand that i can flash the ubuntu on device. But in first, i want to work with my own computer with connecting the Persee to my computer. So, i downloaded the Visual Studio 2015 to my Windows 10 computer and also SDK (OpenNI). I expected to be able to reach the camera datas, but i could not. Is it only possible to upgraded firmware? So should i firstly update my firmware?
For example, i install the driver (RK serial driver from document) and connect the Persee to my computer with usb-microusb cable without pushing any button. Then i got to the folder \OpenNI-Windows-x64-2.3\Samples\Bin , i tried to run SimpleViewer.exe or SimpleRead.exe but they did not work.
So what is the my problem, i am missing some fundamentals but what??

On the other hand, if it will be easy, i can flash Ubuntu on my Persee. But i think, i can reach the data with android flash also.

Hi engin,

Thanks for asking. If you need to test on a Windows based system, we suggest to purchase a standalone camera from our website. Persee shares the same camera as Astra Pro. And it is designed as an all-in-one device with mini computer built-in, which has similar functionality as a cellphone. You will need to install the software on Persee’s operating system in order to test it.

Hope this helps.
Jackson

Thank you for your quick response.
In this topic (Orbbec Persee depth data to CPU and/or USB) gordon says that we can get the data with USB cable and i asked him how we can do that.

Anyway, I have not worked with android so i decided to install Ubutu, then i will test. Do you have samples or tutorials for starting with it or we are again alone for developing application?

Hi engin,

You can download our Linux SDK from the website below to start building your application on Ubuntu. The SDK includes several samples for testing.

Jackson

Okay thank you Jackson. I installed the ubuntu and now i have something to work on.

Hello again Jackson,

I installed the Ubuntu and connected to internet. It’s working. Then i tried to reach data.
I followed the instructions in Updated Readme.txt but in the “check udev version” step i get an error. In my persee i could not open the folder " /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu" or “/lib/i386-linux-gnu” because these folders does not exist. I passed this step but then i could not build any sample. So i still can not reach the data, what should i do?

Thank you.

Are people still using Persee?

It is about 2 years I don’t use this forum but I see there is still very disorganized documentation (in English) to get started with Persee…
I can’t stop thinking it was a waste of money supporting their crowdfunding for getting close to zero support or feedback from this forum.

2 Likes