Persee and recent Android studio/SDK

Hello we’re trying to get a basic streaming app going on the Persee. It comes with Android pre-installed, which should be fine for our purposes but all the examples and downloads I find seem to require some sort of legacy build toolchain.

Is there any simple example project that works with a modern version (early 2018 at the time of writing) of the Android Studio and android SDK toolchain?

3 Likes

@moderators the documentation on the Persee seems to be almost completely lacking, could really use some response here.

1 Like

I’ll second this request - the persee is a really promising product but lacks a “101” guide.

6 Likes

I’ll third the request!
How does one use the Persee as a 3D scanner?
I imagine that there must be an app to download and install on the Persee’s SBC.
Anybody?

1 Like

@terry @mnord023 - FYI - I decided to do what most seem to recommend and install ubuntu instead of android because of the complete lack of information on how to do anything and my limited knowledge of the android ecosphere. Documentation on Ubuntu isn’t much better but the tooling is a bit more common and most people on the forum seem to use it.

You can download the ubuntu image here (comes with instructions); Universal Download Thread for Persee

I was able to get the depth stream going on Ubuntu 16.04 with the OpenNI SDK. I haven’t been able to get the color stream working yet.

Thanks Mark- I’ll share my results as soon as I get a chance to try your link.
This weekend, hopefully.
Gotta wonder why nobody else seems to be concerned/interested!
Note to self: If I ever develop new hardware, I’ll be sure load it with at least one app so that more people can use it as advertised.

I’ll also second this request for Android projects shipped with the SDK.

I contacted Orbbec about it and the reply I got is that the samples are only available for Windows and Linux. They will update the SDK after March 31. Hopefully they have better Android support by then.

@markkorput I also tried Ubuntu, but noticed that the OpenGL performance is much worse than in Android, probably because of the drivers. So I have to stick to Android for now.

Mark-
After wasting a few more hours, no useful outcome. I can’t believe there isn’t an app for using the Persee as advertised (ie,making 3D meshes).

@Terry yea it’s strange how little ‘support’ the Persee seems to be getting, especially since we can put an astra on any computer ourselves, so the whole existence of the Persee as a product seems to be based on convenience; having the computer and the sensor paired together for you, which has little use if you’re not being enabled to make use of it (even the linux SDK comes without any documentation for the linux operating system). Then again, how much can you expect from a kickstarter project?

Anyway, luckily for us, we’re not planning to do anything sophisticated on the Persee itself, just streaming the depth image over a network, and we’re all good to go on that front (will post a link to our code ASAP). It would be nice to get a color stream going as well…

1 Like

Hi Mark,

We are also plan to stream the depth image from Persee over a network.

Do you compile the code on the Persee board itself or you have Ubuntu 16.04 on another i386 machine which can cross compile the code for ARM processor? We do not have much idea on how to do it. It will be highly appreciated if you could give us some guidance on how to setup the development environment, build and compile the code for Persee.

Thanks

Hey @cw.wong I compile on the persee board itself, using the OpenNI SDK. Since we’re just building a tiny streaming app the build time isn’t an issue (at all) and in my experience setting up a cross compile environment isn’t a trivial task and only worth the effort if you’ll be doing extensive and ongoing development for the persee board.

(Plus my previous experience with trying to set up a cross-compile environment for the Raspberry PI; the build-time in a virtualized ARM environment is also very slow).

I think I’ll be able to post a link to our code and READMEs this week.

Well, the Kickstarter campaign was what…2015? Oh well- there’s always the RealSense D400 series to play with.

@Terry yea, we’re also giving the RealSense a go, very underwhelmed with the whole orbbec experience so far

Any one can share information on what are the others sensor devices having the same features like Persee such as on board CPU, OS and able to stream depth/color over a network.

Karol-
Could you please explain how to use the Persee to create 3D files for export to a program like, eg, RecFusion?

I’ve had my Persee for a few months, and all I can do is stream RGB to a monitor. I’ve checked all the FAQs and threads on this board, but can’t find answers.
Thanks,
TJM

We just published our code here; GitHub - fusefactory/ofxDepthStream: OpenFrameworks addon for working with image streams from remo

Our package is an OpenFrameworks addon which is designed for developing the client application which receives depth-streams from one or more (different) depth sensors over a network, but the repo also includes the Persee server application for transmitting the image stream, as well as instructions of how we set it up. See the OrbbecPerseeTransmitter in the tools folder.

Note1; so far we don’t do anything sophisticated on the Persee itself; it just compresses depth-stream frame data and sends it out to the connected network client.

Note2; even though we wrapped everything in an OpenFrameworks addon, 90% of the code is vanilla c++11 with only zlib as additional dependency (for realtime de-/compression). You can find the core library code in the libs/DepthStream folder

The package it still a bit rough, but feedback and questions are welcome (here or at the github repo).

Mark- I can’t wait to try this- maybe today or tomorrow- thank you so very much for sharing your hard work.

Mark- Have you seen this?

Yes! Saw it pop up about week ago. Haven’t tried it because we already had our thing going when I saw it, so I didn’t compare but looks like he pretty much had the same idea :slight_smile:

1 Like